[German] 05/15/09 notes from the first meeting.

Dougie daworley at gmail.com
Fri May 15 03:22:31 UTC 2009

These notes were scribbled down in my shorthand from what I thought
was important... may not line up with what everyone else thinks is
important.

Sorry if this makes no sense, or if I missed something important.

Topic

▼	❑	Ich bin
	•	❑	klein
short
	•	❑	grosse / groß
tall
	•	❑	cool
	•	❑	intelligent
	•	❑	dünn
skinny
	•	❑	dick
fat
•	❑	du bist
•	❑
▼	❑	allophone swaps
	•	❑	cht - ght
acht - eight
nacht - night
	•	❑	g - y
Tag - Day
Sag - Say
Mag - May
•	❑	die Zahlen
numbers as an idea
•	❑	die Nummer
numbers assigned to items
   - die Hausnummer
   - die Addressnummer
•	❑
▼	❑	der
	•	❑	Mann
	•	❑	Computer
	•	❑	Leid
sorrow
▼	❑	die
	•	❑	Frau
woman
	•	❑	Idee
idea
	•	❑	Nummer
number
▼	❑	das
	•	❑	Kind
child
	•	❑	Radio
	•	❑	Lied
song
	•	❑	Bier
•	❑
•	❑	Ich bin
I am
•	❑	du bist
you are
•	❑	Er ist
he am
•	❑	Sie ist
she is
•	❑	Es ist
it is
•	❑
•	❑	Der altes Man
•	❑	Die alter Frau
•	❑	Die alte Bier
•	❑
•	❑
▶	❑	german language reform
happened in roughly 2000... inconsistent usage of how to spell things
especially with ß
•	❑
•	❑	watched a silly video about Gummibears
YouTube - Ich Bin Dein Gummibär - Full German Version
•	❑
•	❑	Freund - friend who is male
•	❑	Freundin - friend who is female
because women are always in
•	❑
•	❑	watched the Wir Sind Helden
www.youtube.com—watch
•	❑	singular
der Traume - the dream
der Alptraume  - the nightmare
der Baum - the tree
der Bund - the connection (between people)
•	❑	plural
die Träume - the dreams
die Bäume - the trees
der Bünde - the connections (between people)
•	❑
•	❑	Endlich - finally
•	❑	los - in this song... used like "COME ON ALREADY"
•	❑
•	❑	die Puls - pulse
•	❑	Ganze - whole
•	❑	Weider - again (used as we would use "later" in auf weidersehen)
•	❑	Wirklich - really
•	❑
•	❑
•	❑
•	❑	dunkel - dark
"dunklen" occasionally
•	❑	hell - light
•	❑
•	❑	der Blick - the view
•	❑	sag bloß - just say it already
•	❑
•	❑	bewärten - acceptable values.... FIGHT THE MAN
•	❑
▼	❑	ver- prefix = makes things go slightly negative
	•	❑	schlucken = to swallow
	•	❑	verschlucken = to choke
•	❑
•	❑
•	❑	lauf = to walk
verlauf = to let things run their course
•	❑	Augen auf = open your eyes
•	❑
▼	❑	Dictionaries:
	•	❑	dict.leo.org