[German] Multi-Sensory Interactive Group Language Training

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 19:38:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Andreas Stadler <rain at meta-mind.de> wrote:
> if no one comes up with a solution for watching video with multiple subtitles,

OK I hacked up a proof of concept for this last night. Here is the
evidence although I do not have audio working yet:

http://modernhacker.com/sita-en-de.avi

I am basically "baking in" two sets of subtitles using mplayer, one at
a time, and then re-encoding the movie with mencoder. Roughly this
works like:

mplayer sita.mp4 -sub deutsch.srt -vo yuv4mpeg:file=deutsch.yuv
mplayer deutsch.yuv -sub english.srt -subpos 80 -vo yuv4mpeg:file=sita.yuv
mencoder sita.yuv -ovc x264 -o sita-en-de.avi

Notice that audio gets lost in this process and needs to be re-muxed;
also it would help to use a font that supports umlauts and other crazy
Latin-1 glyphs.

Also, btw, the movie is not originally in German, but a great public
domain flick suitable for experimenting with :)