[Hackability] Thanks for coming yesterday

Liz Henry liz at bookmaniac.org
Tue Oct 2 16:36:12 UTC 2012

Yes, it was really fun! Thanks for coming everybody! I'm going to write
up the meeting and am thinking of making some flyers as Zach suggested.

Susan came up with some more good ideas like using an Arduino to log the
current and other battery related info, and maybe putting a rotary
encoder on a wheel to record mileage as well. That would be easier than
our plan to make regenerative brakes (which I hope we still do.)

On the J on the way home from Noisebridge yesterday I met a kid about 10
years old who liked the legos I have hot-glued to my scooter. He told me
about his mom's wheelchair, how he gets to drive it, and how his dad
replaced her motor with a better motor. He was very interested in my
scooter mods and asked a lot of good questions about what I'd done to
it. Then he came up with all sorts of great ideas for modifying scooters
and his mom's powerchair, with lights, rear brake lights, speakers
connected to a Bluetooth phone headset so his mom could yell at people
louder than her horn if she needed them to get out of the way. He
speculated that there might be ways to make the electricity from the
battery last longer!  It was a pretty cool conversation to have with a
little kid on the train, and he seemed like a very bright young
inventor. I gave him my card to pass on to his mom when he got home. If
I had had a flyer for our hack day, that would have come in handy!

- Liz

--

Liz Henry
liz at bookmaniac.org
http://bookmaniac.org

"Without models, it's hard to work; without a context, difficult to
evaluate; without peers, nearly impossible to speak." -- Joanna Russ