[Hackability] Wheelchair/ Scooter Parts and how to save $$

Zach organic_unity at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 1 09:03:19 UTC 2015

Hey all,
  I was looking to buy some parts for my mobility chair and was just reminded at HOW EXPENSIVE this stuff is, even looking on ebay.  For example, my chair needs a new motor and here's the first thing that comes up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181761732976?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Note, $250 is a GOOD price since most sites sell them for ~$300 new.
Tires run ~$50
Batteries run ~$130 (each year to year and a half!)
Not to mention the basket, hubcap/wheel assembly, seat cover, and arm rests which all are worn on my old ride.

I find the motor needs replacing on mine due to the ball bearings wearing out every 1-2 years.  So you're looking at $200++ just to keep my scooter going each year.  It's nuts if you ask me.

SO I was thinking of maybe teaching a class on how to save money on this stuff.  There are ways to find your parts without your BRAND attached to them.  This has helped me budget very well over the years and some hundreds of dollars on these repairs.  So I thought I'd throw it out there and gauge some interest.

-Zach