[Madhatters] my brown felt tophat

Sarah James sarah at instructables.com
Sat Aug 14 00:32:28 UTC 2010

Holy crap - CNC hat blocks!  For that I would be willing to learn crazy
software.

To cover the edge of your brim, David, look for some nice bias tape.  Again,
Britex is your go-to place for this.

Alternatively. grosgrain could work if you're patient enough to steam the
heck out of it.  You'll need to pin it in place and steam it into shape
around the brim.

Finally, if you find some fabric that is just killer, cut a strip on the
bias to go around your brim.  Cut it twice as wide as you think you'll need
it - it will stretch and get skinny.

You can actually machine sew at least the first side of the tape to your
hat, but may want to hand stitch the other.

If you're going to cover the edge of the brim, I highly recommend wiring
it.  I know Lacis used to carry millinery wire.  Make sure you "spring" the
wire first - straighten it all out - before you bend it into the shape you
want.  This will increase the durability and life of your hat.

There's my two cents!

Sarah James
Editor, Living

sarah at instructables.com