[ml] ML Wednesday Wednesday Wednesday at 2169

John J. Kaufman binky at onemain.com
Wed Sep 9 23:51:50 UTC 2009

I had another thought (dangerous, I know)...

Although currently not active, http://www.netflixprize.com/ included giving out a huge dataset for people to attempting to optimize recommendation algorithms.  They'll probably launch again, or we could request the data set.  This might be an easy way to get our hands on a huge data set that we can use for whatever training problems we come up with, without asking any of the noisebridgers to violate their company NDAs ;)

We could even (if we wanted) try to actually compete the next time they run the competition, though I expect we'd be blown away by the other competitors... maybe we could at least use the various forum discussions there as a starting point to explore ML topics (people there seem pretty open about what kinds of stuff they're using, at least in a general way).

We may even be able to recruit local participants of the contest into Noisebridge-ML!

-John J. Kaufman