[ml] Slides and Additional Notes for IR talk

Jared Dunne jareddunne at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 06:26:28 UTC 2010

The Slides:
https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0Ae0pay6z9C6GZGYzZG1uMm5fNDFmdGt2YnhoYw&hl=en

SMART
Someone asked a good question after the talk about if there was a "generic"
vector space model framework out there. We discussed "search appliances"
such as Google's offerings, but you were looking for something that you
could hand off the term vectors or data for given domain and then have a
toolkit of these vector space algorithms provided to look at it. I mentioned
Salton on the theory front, but I should of also mentioned the result of his
research, SMART, which is an implementation of his work with sample data
sets. Its probably a good thing to play around with in the vein of your
question.

Lots of good links from its wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_Information_Retrieval_System

SMART unixy bits via FTP:
ftp://ftp.cs.cornell.edu/pub/smart/

This tutorial looks promising (loving the old school html):
http://www.tcnj.edu/~mmmartin/CSC485IMME321/Papers/SMART/SmartCourse.html

I'll probably send out some additional stuff later on about other areas that
we started to touch on in the discussion after the talk, like query and term
expansion and spell correction.

Jared-