[ml] Fwd: [Cyborg] Watson Tonight

Mike Schachter mike at mindmech.com
Mon Feb 14 21:39:28 UTC 2011

Fwd from Eric Boyd on the cyborg list:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eric Boyd <mrericboyd at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 1:30 PM
Subject: [Cyborg] Watson Tonight
To: "cyborg at lists.noisebridge.net" <cyborg at lists.noisebridge.net>

Tonight is the airing of the Jeopardy episode which features IBM's
Watson against the two best Jeopardy players of all time.

http://singularityhub.com/2011/02/14/its-showtime-ibms-watson-to-make-history-with-jeopardy-performance-today/

This links includes a trio of new videos that IBM has released, and it's
good watching.

I think the most amazing thing about this whole event is how
anti-climatic it feels.  Obviously Watson is going to win.  Yet when you
take a step back and think about what goes into the technology behind
this victory, and you compare it to Deep Blue (the chess machine), you
have to stand in awe at how far technology has come in the last 10
years.  I think we've firmly entered the knee of the curve as regards
strong AI.

Eric