[EEG] Re: A new lurker

Michael O'Bannon mob at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 13 15:50:16 UTC 2009

Jonathan,

I started out using some of the early Autogenics Systems EMG and EEG
equipment.  The A-620 was my first system in clinical practice.  Since
then, at one time or another I've used the TT Procomp+ and Infinity, J&J
I-330 and C2+, Brainmaster AT-1, Waverider, and Pocket Neurobics A3 and
Pendant.  I also have the Discovery and Mitsar multichannel EEG
systems.  If I'm beginning to sound a bit like a hardware geek, the
title seems to fit.

For the past couple of years, I've been experimenting with algorithmic
music generation driven by physiological measures.  The most convenient
hw/sw for my purposes there is the C2+ or AT-1 with BioExplorer or
BioEra and max/msp for music generation.  The C2+ and BioExplorer are as
trouble-free as any combination I have ever found.  The Pendant is
useful for untethered (BT) work.  The steepest part of the learning
curve is not really the equipment.  It's knowing how and where to place
the electrodes, how to get and keep a solid signal from the scalp, how
to control noise from the environment (and from the person whose EEG you
are monitoring), and how to tell when you are seeing a reliable EEG
signal.  (Please forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know.)

As far as electrode locations, those depend on the purpose of the work.
In the neurofeedback practice, I treated mostly anxiety, ADHD, TBI, and
a bit of depression.  In clinical practice you can determine electrode
location a couple of ways: you can run an individual QEEG and work at
those sites that show activity out of expected limits, or you can use
protocols established from theoretical models and validated by
research.  For TBI and some ADHD, I use QEEG.  For anxiety and
depression, there are some very good protocols that work consistently.
For non-clinical work, a good place to start is the research lit on the
cortical functions of interest, then verify with some QEEG recordings.

Right now, I'm experimenting with improving cognitive and creative
performance for peak performance and for age-related decline.  Most of
that work is done with the active electrode at central or parietal
midline (Cz, Pz) , ref and gnd at A1 and A2 or nearby mastoid.  The
protocols increase eyes-closed dominant rhythm frequency (often called
alpha but not always 8-12 Hz) and/or teach task-related control of high
theta (~5-7 Hz).

How far along is your project right now and what do you need to keep it
moving forward?

Best regards,
Michael

R. Michael O'Bannon, Ph.D.