[EEG] data and bowel movements

Kelly hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 20:18:13 UTC 2009

Well, that was exciting.  I think I may actually have a
linguistics-free weekend, and some time to hack on this.

Wiggly lines indeed.  Did you determine what the y axis was on ERP
data?  I still haven't had time to look that up.  I'm guessing
voltage?  What I was wondering is if there is V/ms for each electrode?
 And how is that localized information dealt with in terms of
interpreting the data?

> C) TIMESERIES DATA IS SLOW, FREQUENCY DATA IS LOW

Your timesharing proposal makes more sense now, and I'm definitely for
it.  Sounds like A Project though.  This may be one of the ideas worth
poking the broader NB community about.

> D) AMPS FOR THE CAP

I'm hoping Leah will take an interest in this since she was the only
one around with a definite project in mind that requires hi-res data.
When we first talked about this it sounded like the solution was to
throw money at it.  Does anyone have a more creative solution?

> F) NOISE, SOFTWARE HACKS

This stuff I have only minor experience with (reasonable neuro
background and one Berkeley AI course) but hot damn it sounds like
fun.  I can't really spearhead much of it, but I'd really like to
learn along the way.  Also, I am actually working in an EEG lab at
Berkeley, so if I can track down someone there who's sufficiently
nerdy enough, I will try to drag them over to noisebridge.  I have no
idea how academic EEG processing compares to what hackers and machine
learning people would come up with.

> I) CATASTRPHIC CRASH COURSE IN SIGNAL PROCESSING AND AMPLIFIER DESIGN

I am exceedingly down.  At some point, I also need to sit down and
fill in the gaps in my knowledge of the mathematics involved.  I don't
know all of the right buzzwords yet, but I think that I should be able
to tackle most of it if I can figure out how to google it...

> J) CRASH COURSE IN NEUROSCIENCE

I have a lot of resources in this area, I'm just not sure what people
feel is useful to learn about.  Possible topics:

- Action potentials and neuronic function at an ionic level, neural
networks, potentiation, etc.  This is all molecular and cell bio
stuff.  Super interesting, marginally relevant to your overall
conception of brain function.

I think that for hacking EEG, having a basic understanding of the
source of EEG signals is important if you want them to hold any
meaning whatsoever.  I recommend knowing what a dipole is, knowing
roughly why that's relevant to EEG and comprehending this summary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeg#Source_of_EEG_activity

- Gross anatomy of the brain, with an emphasis on the bits that will
cause electrical activity on the scalp.  This is useful if you have a
project in mind to implement with EEG and want to figure out its
capabilities.

- EEG based Brain Computer Interfaces.  I'm working on some
interesting BCI research at Berkeley.  I'm not expert in this stuff
but I could certainly give an overview of things people are doing and
various limitations.  I might also be able to drag someone in from
Berkeley, but this is an area where there are already plenty of
non-academic people doing amazing work, so we could look that
direction as well.

- Neuroscience review on any number of specific aspects of cognition.
Memory, learning, emotion, music, motor memory, epilepsy,
hallucination, sleep, meditation... Basically lit review stuff for
anyone with a specific cognitive focus.

Ok, that's enough brain dump for now.  I'll be around 83c this
weekend, but have Linguistics to do until then.  Leah's coming by
noisebridge on Sunday I think.  She's interested in machine learning
EEG stuff as well.

-Kelly