[Neuro] Fisher Wallace Stimulator, was Re: tDCS at Noisebridge?

John Withers jwithers at reddagger.org
Fri Apr 19 08:09:11 UTC 2013

The Fisher Wallace device is...weird. It uses multiple frequencies with
a *lot* of handwaving about them magically carrying the current through
the skull because they are tuned to just the right freqs. And yes, they
have an FDA approval, which just means it isn't going to fry your brain
out of your skull. The FDA approval is just a safety thing as best I can
tell.

There is plenty of research going on with the unit by various parties,
but so far I haven't seen anything that tdcs doesn't do already. My
strong personal hunch is that 90% of the FW device is hand-waving and
most of the other 10% is just tdcs signal. There might be something it
is better for than standard TDCS (the sleep stuff does seem to be the
likely point they might really have here). If you are concerned about
anxiety and depression, there is already tons of data on TDCS doing all
kinda good shit for them. No weird multiple frequency AC signal
required. I haven't looked into the sleep stuff, that might actually be
unique to their methodology.