[Neuro] tDCS at Noisebridge?

Anthony Di Franco di.franco at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 00:37:39 UTC 2013

Results:

Santhi, Rohan, and I met up at sudo room last night alongside the
microcontroller hack night.
I passed parts to Santhi and Rohan and after some preliminary looking over
my device and noting how to replicate it and what the pitfalls are or might
have been a year ago when I made it we moved on to basic testing of mine.
Wasted several minutes being vexed by current flow notational conventions.
We are planning to meet again at sudo room next Tuesday evening and maybe
make this a regular or semi-regular thing.

Testing:
No scientific discipline whatsoever was involved and goal was to verify
basic function when hooked to a body through wet sponges in a non-lethality
sense more than anything else.
Trial 1:
Put an anodic wet sponge somewhere on my forehead and an alligator clip on
my tongue. Turned the dial up from zero to blinking lights, then down a
bit. Subjective effects clearly noticeable but simultaneously subtle and
hard to describe. Aborted due to difficulty speaking with alligator clip on
tongue and æsthetic concerns around saliva in alligator clip's rubber boot.
Trial 2:
Replaced alligator clip on tongue with alligator clip on wet sponge on left
shoulder. Otherwise same. Total stimulation time 20 minutes. Subjective
perception of time slightly sped up for first 3.5 minutes, slowed down for
most of rest of stimulation. Slight dissociation and euphoria during
stimulation. Less dissociation and somewhat more euphoria and feeling of
clear perception afterwards for about 1.5 hours. Or maybe that was the
sake, which was imbibed in small quantity a few minutes after end of
stimulation, but does not usually affect me in any way at all like that.
Trial 3:
About 2 hours after start of trial 2. Same protocol. Measured current with
ammeter in series and found 2.1mA regulated maximum through meter becomes
about 3mA maximum with head and shoulder load also in circuit, which is
quite counterintuitive. Settled on 2.5mA, 15 minutes of stimulation. Little
subjective change during stimulation. Slight fatigue afterwards for about
20 minutes followed by about 1.5 hours of euphoria and feeling of clear
perception.
I slept well last night, which is usual, but fell asleep about an hour
earlier than usual, and awoke about 45 minutes earlier than usual, feeling
more alert than usual. Today, I feel not noticeably different from usual.

Next time, will try not to drink as much sake and maybe do a cognitive
function test, or something.

Rohan also tried the thing, but I will leave his write up to him.