[Noisebridge-announce] Project Euler group on Tuesday, beginning this week

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Nov 23 10:05:13 UTC 2009

This week our new Project Euler group will have its first meeting --
on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m., just before the Noisebridge weekly meeting.
We'll try to solve problems from Project Euler:

http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=problems

For instance, Problem 77 is

  What is the first value which can be written as the sum of primes in
  over five thousand different ways?

Every problem in Project Euler is meant to be solved with a computer
program and each problem is solvable in under one minute of computer
time -- but some are interesting opportunities to explore algorithms
and math in order to figure out how to create a program efficient
enough to be useful.  The Project Euler web site says that

  [t]he intended audience include[s] students for whom the basic
  curriculum is not feeding their hunger to learn, adults whose
  background was not primarily mathematics but had an interest in things
  mathematical, and professionals who want to keep their problem solving
  and mathematics on the edge.

I've solved a bunch of the problems, and I found them fun and interesting.

There is no math prerequisite for this group.  Ideally, you should be
comfortable with some programming environment.  If you're interested in
joining us, please make an account of your own at Project Euler and also
subscribe to our mailing list

See you Tuesday!

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en