[Noisebridge-announce] Web Dev Projects

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 02:51:47 UTC 2013

Hi Web Developers -

I want to take over webdev class for next week. AIUI, Jeffrey is absent.

For learning and researching, I like the idea of unschooling, leading
to autodidacticism. So projects and using famous techniques such as:

* RTFM and SFTW
* Capability detectiom & Fallbacks
* A hands-on introduction to XP methodologies such as pair, code
review, as it arises.

When questions arise, and they will, I like to explain how stuff
works, and if I don't recall instantly off the top of my head, and
that happens fairly often, how to find the answer using STFW and RTFM,
and when that fails, how (and where (CIWAS, JSMentors, c.l.js, ciwah))
to ask a smart question. E.g.

And not:
* Downloading free scripts off dynamic drive or jQuery
* Copy'n'paste development

Thoughts on this?

Some of the things I've done with web programming, if you're at all
curious, includes the late DHTMLKitchen .com site, some of which has
been archived by Matt:
http://www.fortybelow.ca/hosted/dhtmlkitchen/

Code reviews and other posts to comp.lang.javascript, one of which
became formalized into the Query Selectors article (now on Matt's
site):
http://www.fortybelow.ca/hosted/dhtmlkitchen/JavaScript-Query-Engines.html

The maintenance of its FAQ, and creation of new pages for FAQ notes,
now on Matt's site:
http://www.fortybelow.ca/hosted/comp-lang-javascript/faq/

A JavaScript repository on Github
https://github.com/garretts