[Noisebridge-announce] SDR Newbie Pre-Meetup - Dec 11, 7 pm

Casey Callendrello c1 at caseyc.net
Wed Dec 3 05:38:07 UTC 2014

Hi, All.

Software Defined Radio, or SDR, is opening up the world of RF to a whole
new cadre of hackers. Now we can build new demodulation schemes with a
few mouse clicks, and explore a new kind of hidden world. People with
SDRs have done exciting things like decode GSM, track commercial
airplanes & ships, and talk to satellites.

On Wednesday, December 17th, Balint is running the inaugural San
Francisco SDR Meetup at Noisebridge. This promises to be an *awesome*
event. He is a pioneer in the field, having done a ton of work to unlock
the possibilities of SDR. His previous meetup, in the south bay, was
packed (20 people alone were streaming it)!

The week before, on *Thursday, December 11th*, I'll be hosting a more
informal gathering for people looking to enter the world of SDR. You
should attend if you'd like to learn the absolute basics. If you buy a
SDR before the meeting, we can help get it running. We'll talk, also,
about what SDR devices are doing and why they're different from the
radio in your car / boat / stereo bike.

Even more awesome, everyone who attends with the proper hardware will
leave with a working SDR setup, ready to participate in the following
week's meetup.

What should I do? Glad you asked! Easy!

1. Buy a SDR. The ones listed here are $20 and available on Amazon
Prime: http://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/
2. Get a job at a tech company. Whine until they give you a fancy
thinkpad or macbook. Install Linux or MacOS. Quit. Don't give the laptop
back.
2. sudo {apt-get yum port} install gnuradio gqrx rtl-sdr
4. Lastly, read some Things on the Internet:

Quadrature Signals: Complex but not Complicated:
http://www.dspguru.com/sites/dspguru/files/QuadSignals.pdf
The GnuRadio Tutorials:
https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Guided_Tutorials
Balint's SDR labs: http://files.ettus.com/tutorials/labs/Lab_1-5.pdf