[Noisebridge-announce] Intro to Computers, August 10, 3pm

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 22:56:31 UTC 2014

I am teaching a one-time class on introductory computer topics! Ideas
include:

   - The differences between desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones
   - What an operating system is, and the differences between them
   - What file types and extensions (.doc, .html) are
   - How to manage files and folders
   - How to use context (right-click) menus
   - What a web browser is
   - How to use a search engine
   - Making the most of free online services
   - Signing up and using social networks
   - Tips for staying secure online
   - Avoiding scams and malware
   - What RAM, disk space, CPU, etc. are
   - What to look for when buying a computer

*When is the class?*
I will be teaching the class on Sunday, August 10 at 3:00 PM. I expect the
class will last for up to two hours.

*Where is the class being taught? *
The class will be taught at Noisebridge. The address is:

2169 Mission St.
3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94110
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Getting_Here

The gate to the space should be open while the class is in session. If not,
you can read up on getting into the space here:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Getting_In

*Should I bring a computer?*
It would be ideal if you could bring a laptop with Wi-Fi. Noisebridge
doesn't have too many public computers to use. If you do not have a
computer to bring, you might want to email the Noisebridge-discuss list
asking if anyone has one to borrow, or you can take notes by watching what
I do on my projected display.

*What do I need to know?*

This class is taught in English. You should be able to type (slowly is
okay). Otherwise, no prior knowledge of computers or the Internet is
necessary.

*How much does this class cost?*

This class is free, as are all classes taught at Noisebridge. You do not
need to register or RSVP - just show up!

*Why are you teaching this class?*

I teach another class on Front-end Web Development at Noisebridge, and
occasionally, some of the material is too difficult to understand by those
who have not spent a lot of time using computers.

As part of the Class-A-Thon I am helping run as a part of Noisebridge's
Reboot, I am happy to spend more time teaching and inviting people to
understand more about technology.

*How can I keep informed about the class?*

If anything changes, you can check this page for any updates:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Intro_to_Computers

I will also send emails to the Noisebridge-announce mailing list, so you
might consider subscribing to it:

*I have a friend/relative with no access to computers and/or the Internet.*

Please print this email out and give it to them! You should not need to own
a computer or Internet connection to understand how to use them.

*How can I get more information?*

Please reply to this email with any questions.