[Noisebridge-announce] Reminder: Front-end Web Development starts Monday, 8PM

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 02:32:20 UTC 2015

Just the first of the weekend-before reminders for this series. Hope you can make it! Here’s an FB event if you’re into that sort of thing:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1465500247078961/

---

Learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript - and put them to good use! This weekly lecture series, taught by Jeffrey Carl Faden, is aimed at complete beginners who are interested in web development, as well as seasoned professionals looking to brush up on the latest and greatest.

Front-end web development is all about making code that runs in the browser (versus code that runs on the server). We'll be focusing on writing interactive web applications, taking designs and turning them into code, and much more.

This time around, I plan on switching the order of the classes. Early on - within the first few weeks - we'll learn how to use the command line and version control systems, and then jump into learning about JavaScript. We'll leave the more design-oriented, CSS-heavy courses for later. This reordering might make the material in the first few weeks seem a bit daunting, but I encourage you to challenge yourself!

This is the first class of a new series of classes. If you or your friends have been waiting to jump in from the very beginning, this is the class to take - so spread the word. We'll cover the very basics:
- Explaining "front-end" vs. "back-end"
- Explaining web apps vs. web sites
- Discussing tools of the trade
- Explaining the separation between structure, presentation, and behavior
- Writing a basic HTML page
- Styling the page with basic CSS
- Adding a small amount of JS
- Explaining the role of front-end development as a job and career

The class starts on Monday, January 5 at 8pm, and goes until 10pm! Plan to arrive EARLY, as the class will probably fill up very fast.

If you can't make it to the lecture, you can watch a live video stream of the class. Join this Google+ Hangout event to be notified of when to hop on:
https://plus.google.com/events/csb4llemhmmfa957m2tnd9geigs
This video stream will also be available to watch after the class is complete.

This class and the space in which it's taught are entirely free to attend, although donations to Noisebridge are welcome and encouraged. Please bring a laptop. Read all of the details here:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Front-end_Web_Development

Jeffrey