[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 3/15: Intro to Elixir

Brad brad at railsschool.org
Wed Mar 9 18:50:39 UTC 2016

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm Pacific on March 15, 2016

Intro to Elixir

Learn a fun, mind-expanding language we can use to build fast, current, robust web apps.

This is a the first part of a two-class series on Elixir and Phoenix. I'll teach a Phoenix class on 3/29.

Elixir is a functional programming language with a Ruby-like syntax that runs on the Erlang virtual machine. This is cool because:

* The Erlang VM is battle tested, has great concurrency support, and is fault-tolerant. We can use it to build incredibly fast, concurrent, robust web applications.

* Learning functional programming is mind-expanding and a great way to improve your skills.

* Elixir's Ruby-ish syntax and great tooling make it a compelling alternative to Ruby in some cases. It's also fun!

We'll build a simple program (not a web app) using Elixir, as a way to demonstrate some of the new concepts of the language. In particular we'll talk about pattern matching, Agents and state, and a lot of the language basics including types, syntax, etc.

Instead of a codewars challenge, please look over functional programming. You can do it in Ruby or JavaScript (!), and the web has [lots](http://www.sitepoint.com/functional-programming-techniques-with-ruby-part-i/) of [tutorials](http://eloquentjavascript.net/1st_edition/chapter6.html). Here is a good [overview of the concepts](https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/07/dont-be-scared-of-functional-programming/).

Also, you need to have Elixir installed on your machine. [Installing Elixir](http://elixir-lang.org/install.html)

Hangout will be posted on the whiteboard before the event starts.

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/intro-to-elixir
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, http://www.railsschool.org