[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting this Thursday

Matt Peterson matt at peterson.org
Wed Dec 19 09:31:59 UTC 2007

The wiki notes for the first meeting didn't have clear action items
or next steps, I've gathered a few that might be useful to use as a
baseline agenda for Thursday's meeting.  It would be great to hear
input from folks who can't make to the in-person meeting too.

...Bill & space
* Formal relationship - Bill makes a good point that the group should
be a clear separate entity from NoStarch, along with his desire to
interact formally with a non-profit (I'm guessing this relates to
things like insurance, contracts, etc).

It would appear that setting up a 501(c)(3) will require a time
investment and prior proof of existance, short of that - can we more
forward with atleast a DBA registered in SF with >1 member listed?  A
simple DBA also allows us to open up a bank account (US Bank offers a
fee-free monthly small biz account that I've used in the past,
sometimes credit unions will allow organizations to join too) under
the name of group.  The Hacker Foundation has offered in the past to
sponsor start-up spaces, this is fairly classic way of gaining non-
profit status by being "sponsored" or mentored.

* Improvements - The notes weren't clear if Bill was expecting us and/
or him to make building improvements.  These could be simple things
like modern wiring or insulation, to full fledged efforts like making
the space ADA compliant.

...Funding - The european clubs seem to have a number of passive
fundraising options, the biggest being selling a high-energy German
soda'ish drink known as Club Mate.  Can we have an additional option
besides monthly dues to also collect moola?

I didn't see a discussion on initial start-up costs, things such as
chairs, basic tools, lighting, storage/bins/"borrowed" milk crates,
etc - is it assumed most of this will be donated by folks?

Thanks very much to Mitch and Rachel for the space/meeting
coordination/offering!

--Matt