[Noisebridge-discuss] Bylaw structure consensus

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 28 03:19:43 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

Here's my understanding of the consensus we came to at the end of
today's meeting about bylaw structure. Please speak up if you see
something I got wrong, something is unclear, or you have other thoughts.
The next step is to update the bylaws on the wiki to reflect this
consensus, then incorporate.

----

0) There will be a 5-person Board of Directors: the three execs plus two
others. The reason for 5 is to make quorum issues easier. The role of
the Board is to moderate and to execute the will of the Members.

1) Every person who makes a sustained contribution over a period of
between two-three months (exact time TBD) to Noisebridge will have the
opportunity to be a capital-M Member, unless there are objections from
current members. We will not have two classes of long-term membership.
All will be legal Members of the corporation, with the power to call
meetings, turn out the Board if needed, etc.

2) Specifically, a person will become a member after hanging out at
Noisebridge for two-three months, usually as a guest of a current
member, then having the current members agree to accept the person.
There will be a membership meeting or other specific point where a new
person becomes a member. The Secretary will keep a current list of members.

3) Members pay dues. People who guests or new people do not.

---

We also discussed other issues, such as the need to have an explicitly
spelled out policy for removing members (by law and just as a good idea)
before renting a space. For right now, though, the priority is finishing
the writing of bylaws so we can incorporate and get things going.

-David Molnar