[Noisebridge-discuss] Bylaw structure consensus

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 28 07:47:01 UTC 2008

Mark Cohen wrote:

> I really wish I could have been there today, so please forgive my
> questions.
>
> 1. When you say "Sustained contribution over a period between 2-3
> months" do you mean Financial or Volunteer contribution.

My take is "either or both - whatever is recognized by the other
members." I recognize not everyone can pay the same amount per month,
and some people we want to be part of the club may not be able to pay
much or at all. I feel like we can make those decisions as we add people
on a case by case basis.

As I see it, when a person joins they will commit to a certain dues
structure, which will be discussed by the current members before the
person joins. The Treasurer will be responsible for ensuring that the
person is paid up.

If the person later needs to change his or her dues, that seems to me
something the Board of Directors should be able to do without needing to
call a general meeting. (and if there is abuse of that power, this is a
case when the Members throw them out.) Each person's dues are public,
like the pledges we currently have on the wiki. So if there is a
question about why Alice pays X and commits to doing Y, while Bob pays W
and commits to doing Z, we can have a discussion as a club.

Again, if you look at the pledges page, we do have a range of
commitments there. The main thing we will run into, of course, is that
once we have a space we'll have rent to make each month. It may be the
case that we'd have to have some minimum level of money from each person
to make rent. That seems like a discussion we can have, however, after
we incorporate - the bylaws just need to state dues are required and how
they are set for each member, but not necessarily exactly how much.

> 2. Can you define "Hanging Out"- Do you mean physical presence, or
> actually doing something. (by something, I mean for the greater good of
> the organization)

I meant it as physical presence - a new person starts by just showing
up. Then they demonstrate contribution and show they are ready to be a
member by doing something. Does that make sense?

-David Molnar