[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting notes 18 November 2008

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 2 07:06:41 UTC 2008

This is the last in a series of belated meeting notes.
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2008_11_18

Apologies for the delay. Hope everyone had good Thanksgiving. As always,
if anyone sees things that are wrong, misleading, mistaken, etc. please
let me know via e-mail or on the list. I will wikify once there's been
time for corrections.

1) Project updates
* Shannon for RepRap
** RepRap chassis ready to go
** Soldering party happened Sunday
** Stepper control board works, wire blown and worked around!
** Don't have right stepper motors yet
*** Someone volunteered NM14 motors
* Rachel: sewing machine donated, need small table to hold it
** Use shelves?
* Jof: LED signs in progress, it lights up, learning to control
* Matt: fixing bathroom, avoiding water spills
** "My caulk is still wet." "Don't touch the caulk!"
* Shannon: build team mostly finished, go to electronics lab now
* Oscilloscope Class: happened, was awesome!
* Poker Night: talk to Cristina, Arram
* Bike workshop: happened, was cool, another to follow in 1-2months

2) Junk proposal
* Yesterday long e-mail about donations
* Don't want to have junk lying around
* Reached the fork in the road where we have to do something?
* Stuff not labeled, not sure if accidentally left or for a purpose
* "Junk" - donations w/o purpose
* Stuff there since shelves erected
* Printers, scanners recent flash points
* Proposal
   1) All donations from member
   2) If not from member, cosign with member
   3) Date + name on all items, establish contact point to find more
good stuff, establish "expiration date"
   4) Check expiration periodically, either renew or expire
   5) Move expired items to "outbox", not back to hack shelf
   6) Move "outbox" to trash/ACCRC/wherever
* Need project bins. Currently no bins. Ardent Heavy Industries (art
collective Rubin and others are part of) says "if you don't put stuff
away, we can throw it away"
* Don't get up, go to Death Guild, and leave laptops!
* BucketWorks, collective in Milwaukee has pictures of items coming into
the space.
** Issue because people here don't like cameras
** Difference between pix of space and pix of items
* Things can be used w/o obviously used, e.g. stack of magnets
** Deal with this then?
* Shelf labeling - needs to be clearer? isn't it clear enough?
* Need bins
* Need junk shelf, not same as "hack" shelf
* Two weeks too short for expiration?
** Allow "renewals" ?
* Is this a lot of system for a problem we just noticed?
* "I definitely appreciate your custodial fetishism"
* Shelf map?
* Colored duct tape to mark types of items?
* No specific time frame for expiration? Has led to "someone will use"
* Color coding not good for colorblind people?
* Need a housecleaning
** General housekeeping, what shelves are which
** Outbox creation
** Any member can go through hack shelf, move to outbox
* 2 weeks on outbox?
* Do we have things to leave now?
* Double think about bringing things if hack shelf full!

* Consensus: have outbox, some kind of expiration process details to be
worked out.

3) Hologlyphics
* Walter Funk is artist
* Has "Hologlyphics" system
* Small system right now
* Working on grant project, looking for funds to improve
* Has a grant in mind. Must be collaboration between nonprofit and
artist. 30K total, 10K for nonprofit, 20K for artist. Must be 501c3.
* Walter wants Noisebridge to be that nonprofit
* Walter can mostly carry the project, need some help here and there
* Letter of intent due to grant maker 3 December
* Full proposal in march
* Fiscal sponsor is interested
* Will work on it even if not funded, but sees opportunity for noisebridge
* Talk about it more next week.

4) Haptic interface for blind person

* Friend of David M.'s works with blind grad student. Looking for
someone(s) to build haptic interface. Friend has concept needs
engineers. Contact David M. (dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu)

5) Books
* No Starch donated many books
* Thank you, Bill Pollock!!

6) Homebrew Beer
* Fundraising source?
* Different beer types
* Bill of materials to be on wiki; once we have, can start
* Want to spread cost across several members
* Smell?
* Space? Does not have to take up a lot of space.
* Legal issues? Someone needs to find this out.

7) Moving shelves
* Shelf is backwards, we need to move it!

8) Light fixtures?
* Light fixtures get in way of projector
* Lights eat lots of energy, hence $$$
* Replace?
* Coordinate with dstaff

9) Member names read