[Noisebridge-discuss] insurance done, does not cover theft

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Dec 14 06:53:21 UTC 2008

Hey all,

I've mentioned this at several meetings, but I thought I would send this
to the list as well. Noisebridge now has general liability insurance and
directors&officers insurance. This places us in compliance with our
lease, among other things. Ask me for details.

Our insurance, however, does not cover theft. Therefore, if anything is
stolen from the space, Noisebridge's insurance will not cover it. Do not
leave any personal property unattended at the space you cannot afford to
lose. Noisebridge cannot help you if it is stolen.

If you have renters/homeowners' insurance, that insurance may cover
things like stolen laptops, even if they are stolen outside your home.
Check with your agent.

With regards to theft of Noisebridge property (e.g. oscilloscopes, drill
press, extra shelves), our agent, Pauline Nagata at MIF Insurance, tells
me that we can purchase theft insurance later if Noisebridge installs a
central station alarm system, such as from ADT. The cost for such an
alarm is roughly $500 to install, plus a yearly service fee. At a
meeting where we discussed the possibility, members brought up
additional issues such false alarms and registering the alarm with the
police. If you want Noisebridge to pursue this, contact me to figure it
out and put together a proposal for the membership. Otherwise we'll
leave things as they are for now.

-David Molnar