[Noisebridge-discuss] Hackerspaces: The Beginning - An invitation to include your hackerspace in the first hackerspace book.

Bre Pettis bre at hackerspaces.org
Mon Dec 15 22:47:55 UTC 2008

*Dear Hackerspace Person!*

I'm emailing you because you are associated with a hackerspace on the
hackerspaces.org wiki.

Astera and I have been tasked with putting together a short publication
documenting the beginning period of hackerspaces around the world and we've
only got 10 days to pull it together. We're hoping you can take some time to
answer some questions and send us some photos so that your hackerspace can
be a part of this book.  The working title of the book is "Hacker Spaces:
The Beginning. More than 80 invitations are going out to hackerspaces around
the world to be a part of this book. It's a rather epic task and your
participation is eagerly anticipated!

*Deadline: December 18th* * * I know that's just a few days during a busy
time of year, but any later will make it difficult to get your hackerspace
into the pdf book for 25c3, the worldwide hacker conference happening near
the end of this month. Any earlier will make us very happy.  Please hit
start slapping everything into indesign.

*Text*: This book is a collection of details surrounding the beginning of
your hacker space. If you'd like to just tell the story in 500 words, that's
fine.  We've put together the questions below and so if you like, you can
just answer them as best you can and send them back and that should give the
world a glimpse into the beginning of your hackerspace! Again, total word
count should be around 500. Understand that we're going to be editing these
entries for content and length.

*Photos*: We need 5 or more photos of your space. At least 300dpi and 2"x3"
or larger in JPG or EPS format. If possible, it would be great to see a few
photos of people working in your space. If you have photos of your
hackerspace already, please send them ASAP **so Astera can start color
correcting them and getting them into indesign.

*Logo Image:* We need a logo from your hackerspace ideally in a vector
format like .eps or .ai.

We know it's a busy time of year and if for some reason, you don't have the
time to do this, please delegate the task to someone in your hackerspace
that can! Here we go!

Here's some info we need just to stay organized.

Hackerspace name:
Hackerspace tagline:
Hackerspace website:
Hackerspace contact email (this might be you):

Ok, without further ado, here are the questions!

Tell the story of the beginning of the hackerspace. How did you come up with
the idea? How did you choose the name of your hackerspace? What was your
original vision?

What are some obstacles that you had to overcome at the beginning of your
hackerspace when you were just getting started?

Describe your hackerspace. What do visitors to the space notice that is
special about the space? What kind of tools and resources do you have at the
space?

How often do you meet? What happens at these meetings?

Describe a disaster that occurred in your hackerspace. (flood, lightning,
accident or some such thing)

What are some things that have come out of your hackerspace that you are
most proud of?

Was there anything that you did that was essential to the start of your
hackerspace? Do you have any advice for people who might be thinking of
starting a hackerspace?

BONUS POINTS

If you get this all done and feel like going an extra mile you could do one
of the following. Don't do these if they will put you over the deadline.

1. Get members to tell a story or recount an adventure associated with the
beginning of your hackerspace.
2. Draw a floor diagram.
3. Include a manifesto.

We will be releasing the PDF of the book under a creative commons license
and we may get this published as an actual paper book. By responding to this
email you are giving us the right to publish your text and photos in any way
in all possible universes and dimensions.

Ok, so hopefully you've read through this and responded to all the
questions. Here's a checklist to make sure you've submitted everything we
need for this book.

Info: The basics filled in above.
Text: About 500 words answering the questions above.
Photos: 5 or more photos of your hackerspace.
Logo: The logo of your hackerspace.

Thanks! Please send all of this back to
bre at hackerspaces.org<brepettis at gmail.com>and
astera at hackerspaces.org and book at hackerspaces.org

This project is going to be awesome! We really cannot wait for your reply!

Bre Pettis
NYCResistor