[Noisebridge-discuss] EEG hacking

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Wed Dec 24 21:56:16 UTC 2008

I'm not sure the basic EEG HW has advanced much: essentially a
high-gain differential amp.

Here's some open-source HW and SW: http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/

The tricky thing is what to do with the signal, given that blinking
and facial muscle movement give you10x anything you get from the
brain. The pros use 20+ electrodes with good electrical contact (gel)
and something like  LDA to extract signals of interest from the noise.

There are some commercial headsets out there, ostensibly for game
control (Kal used a prototype on his Mind Machine robot at the
Exploratorium) but I haven't seen them outside demos and prototypes.
Anyone seen anything in the wild?