[Noisebridge-discuss] More details for the nap pods?

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Dec 3 01:38:35 UTC 2008

Rubin Abdi wrote:
> Due to a discussion on IRC with Jake, I've made the decision that I
> don't have the authority to make any reasonable statement on how the
> napping pods project should continue onward (if at all or not). I no
> longer wish to be point man or involved with this project. Please direct
> any discussion about this project to Jake. I will now refrain from
> commenting to this thread. Thanks.

In the interest of transparency:

It was my understanding that we (as a group) had decided there was going
to be a "capsule hotel" in the space for quite some time. It was
discussed far before we had 83c. In any case, I was under the impression
that we were going to have something for napping or just general
isolated relaxing. Perhaps in the form of pods or capsules and that we
had reached consensus on this issue.

I understood that Rubin and Reed were taking the lead from a meeting or
two discussing the issue. I thought that I had expressed that I was
trying to find a Japanese capsule. I understood that there were more
than the three of us involved but all of us were pretty busy with
various things. Specifically, I had discussed this capsule finding
mission with someone heading to Japan in December. Obviously, no capsule
has been delivered as he flies to Tokyo in Mid-December. A capsule may
never be delivered and perhaps it isn't needed if someone was to install
a pod beforehand.

With all of that said...

It seems prudent that if we're going to bail on an idea or plan, we
should probably just raise the issue in a meeting. Or if someone else
feels like something is taking a long time, perhaps they can propose
using the space in a meeting and we can come to consensus as we do for
most other issues.

If no one wants to use that space, I don't see any issue in waiting for
possible time for pods to appear, nor do i see any issue in waiting for
the possible Japanese capsule. If someone wants to use the space and
it's not being used currently, perhaps the people who are interested can
raise the issue and then we can change the plans?

I'm totally happy to bail on the napping pod and capsule hotel issue if
it's not wanted. I'm not really putting much effort into it other than
possible purchasing one from Japan if one is found. I hope that if we do
bail on the issue, we do it in our established processes. I also hope
that if we bail, we do so because someone else really wanted to put the
space to use right away. Just taking time doesn't seem to indicate that
the process has failed or isn't happening. The darkroom comes to mind.
Sometimes somethings take longer than others.

Thoughts?

Best,
Jake