[Noisebridge-discuss] Re: Mystery package? (Dogs Blood Rising reference?)

L. Morningstar el.morningstar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 23:15:59 UTC 2008

Arram,

You ask an excellent question. However, since it is not clear to me
which flavor of monism you subscribe to, I will do my best to answer
your request in the general sense.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not in the business of trading souls.
Believe it or not, that is more commonly the business of the human
invention known as 'religion'. Allow me to explain.

Consider what a god is: A god is the aggregate belief in the existence
of an entity by a group of people. By propagation this belief, the
presence of an ego and volition through time is established. The major
organized religions then, can be said to be far more interested in
"buying" your "soul" than I am, as they mandate subservience of your
will to their own ego-construction. These religions then in many ways
serve to prevent you from possessing your own independent "eternal
soul" even as they promise you eternal paradise for obedience and
the surrender of your will.

However, through various tricks (I suppose you would call them
'hacks'), it is possible to create an independent 'eternal soul' for
yourself. The Dalai Lama is the most intriguing example of one of
these hacks (a "Renegade Buddhist" with "five tons of flax", as Eris
here would be sure to chime in), but really any figure able to
manifest volition past the point of its death has succeeded in
achieving an "eternal soul".

So you see, the way to really possess an 'eternal soul' is to create
one for yourself, independent of the will or commands of an external
ego/god. I have no interest in "purchasing", controlling, or
commanding said soul. I wish only to liberate you from those gods that
would, and to have good company.

For these same reasons, your admiration is greatly appreciated.

- The Lightbringer