[Noisebridge-discuss] email messages archived and indexed.

Al Billings albill at arcanology.com
Fri Feb 1 19:45:23 UTC 2008

Jonas S Karlsson wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2008 11:44 AM, Al Billings <albill at arcanology.com
> <mailto:albill at arcanology.com>> wrote:
>
>     Jonas S Karlsson wrote:
>     > Hi all,
>     >
>     > I just got a notice that one of my messages to
>     noisebridge-discuss has
>     > been indexed and
>     > is found on the web. Do we really want out discuss list to be that
>     > open? Do we want it
>     > to be archieved? Possibly something to discuss at the next
>     meeting, or
>     > on the list.
>     >
>     >
>     https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2007-December/000016.html
>
>     The wiki is public. Why not the e-mail list?
>

> Interesting question!
>
> The wiki is public, the email list is public (anyone can join), the
> archive is public, the meetings are announced publically, thus are public.
>
> How comfortable would you be about recording the voice and video of
> what everyone is saying at the meeting and putting that up on the web
> site too? Maybe somebody can transcribe all bad jokes and put
> attribution names and email addresses, the technology might even be
> there to do it automatically.

I could not care less. I don't say things in public that are not... in
public.

If I want private communication, then I make sure it is private. Since a
lot of people are likely to be interested in what this group does, it
makes sense to do it in public unless there is a reason *not* to do so
(rather than the opposite). Is there a reason not to do so?

 Al