[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting Minutes 2008-01-15

Marc Powell marc at foodhacking.com
Wed Jan 16 22:18:08 UTC 2008

next week's meeting (tuesday 7pm) will be at my place, UNICORN PRECINCT
XIII, there will be food and music--

www.up13.org / 306 Elsie St / Bernal Heights / roughly 30th/mission

i think some take-aways from our conversation with Bill last night was:
  -before the construction happens, we can use the space for events, not
leaving stuff there
  -no idea when the construction is starting, he's still talking to
architect now
  -during the construction, the space will be inaccessible, for an unknown
period of time
  -after construction, the space might turn into a cafe- this is up in the
air

Bill's construction project is in a massive state of flux right now, and
he is dreaming all sorts of cool stuff for his architects and contractors
to deal with, and it's not altogether clear that noisebridge will dovetail
into that nicely without some conflict-- but Bill still invites us to use
the space for sprints/meetings/whatnot. Going through home rennovation
right now, I understand where Bill is coming from- and know that no matter
how much time you think construction will take, it's always a safe bet to
double it..

looking for a new space:

we might still be able to use 40 Ringold space for one-off events, just
check with bill, but the later consensus at brainwash was that we need to
keep looking for spaces for this idealized HACKER EMBASSY thingy- at least
2k square feet, preferably less than $1.00/sqft price, near BART, etc

EVERYBODY SHOULD HELP OUT LOOKING FOR A SPACE! walk around your
neighborhood, call the numbers you see on the "FOR RENT" signs..

there are some good craigslist URLs being dumped on the IRC channel, but I
find the best prices/interactions frm signs-in-windows.

-call the number
-ask for sqfootage and price
-if you like the space, set up a time to check it out
-take pics of the space and send out info

some spaces - here are some sample spaces i've checked out in the past day
just to give some ballpark figures/extremes..

1052 Folsom btwn 6th and 7th streets:
 -former extreme pizza, they moved down the road
 -4000sqft on one floor with storefront
 -$5000/month rent
 -good SOMA location, a lot of money though!

4009 Mission btwn 280 and Bosworth (St. Marys/Glen Park)
 -residential space (not commercial)
 -2 floors, 3 bedroom
 -$1500/month rent
 -bit of a HIKE frm glen park/24th street BARTs, right on the 14/49 muni
line

more events:

we also talked about having sprints for projects- while in the process of
looking for a space. i think this serves an important function so that our
club doesn't turn into a "looking for a space" club, and has an actual
hackin project component. i believe jake's got a sprint coming up at the
armory for somethin??

very cool to hear about everyones' project ideas, or alternate willingness
to jump into others' projects.

-marc