[Noisebridge-discuss] A potential space - the No Starch Press building (and how we can handle voting)

toya toya at linefeed.org
Thu Jan 17 03:05:15 UTC 2008

Hi i will leave this list, I work almost a decade with social movements,
collectives and networks from many country and this is a situation that on
those places wouldnt be tolerated...not the way it is happening in here...
it really amazes me to see how people's judgments are made in here.
Makes me worry and to not even feel confortable to continue in here....

In Brasil where I am from in a situation like this you try to do it in a
face to face fair discussion....pre judgements like this  seem as a
prejudice almost...because until now, in this group, there hasnt been
a problem with anyone's participation...so to raise a concern based on
a personal conflict that happenned over 4 years ago is to pre judge the
person before he even did anything.

And this is something I cant tolerate. Marc I say it is a personal conflict,
because global indymedia saw it this way, when indymedia sf broke up. The IMC
network sees this as an annoying personal conflict and that's why it isn't
discussed in Indymedia anymore.

I dont see anyone who works with ryan from latina america, europe, global
indymedia raising these concerns every time he shows up on a project or
a list... if you have such a strong feeling about it, why dont you as a
person involved in indybay alert the network like you did here? the reason
why you bring it up in NOISEBRIDGE and not in INDYMEDIA is because you
know that it would be unsupportable.. no one in indymedia accepts your
request to not trust ryan in the network where he has been responsible
for hosting half of the network for 8 years!!

ryan is involved and participates on many imc meetings of many different
projects, why dont you alert those people who are there and working with
him for all these years?

Because I am part of Indymedia Brasil since it started and I've been a
part of many of indymedia global's working groups since 2000 and i've
never really seen you around working or even alerting us about this
distrust that you bring here, where no one knows what to think or even
anything about indymedia??

To see someone be pre-judged like this in a group that didnt even start
yet is not something i want to be a part of. On the other hand, the
culture of social movements and groups I have been a part of don't
allow this type of attack. If this was a Landless Movement meeting
in Brasil, we would wonder if Marc was a disruptor, this is not an
attempt to build anything together, this is an attempt to destroy
this group before it begins.

IMC is a network of hundreds of people who trust on Ryan for years
and work with him. Marc's email is about a conflict that happened
over 4 years ago, where both groups came to a decision to separate
and follow their own way since then. I have to say that other
people in the Indymedia network are amazed when I tell them that
people from indybay still act this way.. because i have seen for
myself now the way this little group of people act.

And to Al -- the red flag that was raised for me is that a
disruption like this happens and it is allowed to disrupt
the group like this. For my own background i was born in a
dictatorship and we overthrew it with social groups that
take a little more serious approach to organizing, is a
struggle of life and death started by my parents and we
dont afford to waste our times on internet drama like this,
maybe its a luxury of the north to have your groups wasting
time and people with random accusations.

So, Marc's efforts have lost this group one person already, and
i hope this wont happen again in this group, and i hope people
learn how to hold their judgements and reflect about how this
is an act of prejudice to judge someone so early. Good luck
with this group, I had my own personal wishes for this project
myself but...

tchau e boa sorte
toya