[Noisebridge-discuss] Insurance notes

Matt Peterson matt at peterson.org
Fri Jan 25 03:20:33 UTC 2008

While I totally agree on the long-term goal that all services should
be registered under the org (not only the rent, but internet,
recycling, water, etc); short term we'll likely find that ~4 people
will share the lease responsibility.  Generally forming a non-profit
in the states is a very long and "drawn out" process due to pre-reqs,
such as showing historical community value, being sheltered under an
existing non-profit, etc.  This could easily be a year process -
again, for proving legitment value (which reminds me - some of first
big projects should clearly advertise this).

I'm not sure if gating getting the space until this formality is
worked out is a good idea - what do others think?  It seems like, in
the short-term, a few members will have to "step out on a limb" and
hope all goes well.

--Matt