[Noisebridge-discuss] Insurance notes

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 25 07:05:14 UTC 2008

> I'm not sure if gating getting the space until this formality is worked
> out is a good idea - what do others think?  It seems like, in the
> short-term, a few members will have to "step out on a limb" and hope all
> goes well.

Well, in the short term we should totally continue to add spaces to the
wiki and schedule viewings. ;)

Beyond that, it sounds to me that we need more clarity on the options.
 From reading at say, www.incorporate.com or
http://www.amerilawyer.com/cal_nprft_inc.htm

it sounds like one can get a non-profit but *not* 501(c)(3) tax-exempt
CA corporation in a short amount of time. It's not clear to me what that
does or does not buy us vs. incorporating as a for-profit corporation or
LLC. For example, the amerilawyer link notes that there's a minimum
yearly corporate tax on California corps that we might avoid this way
without needing to go all the way for IRS tax exemption.

Personally I think it is worth spending a little bit of time to work out
the options here. I'd prefer not to have *anyone* out on a limb if we
can avoid it at reasonable cost. That may be just me, and perhaps some
members are willing to do it. If so, great! We will still have to figure
out the options, though, for the eventual Noisebridge entity, so it's
worth looking into it now.

One start would be calling around and having preliminary conversations
with people that offer nonprofit incorporation services in CA. We also
have some generous offers from others to share their experience in
forming 501(c)(3) nonprofits (and it sounds like you have experience
here too?). These could be helpful for guiding our discussions.

Does someone or someones want to start learning more and documenting
this on the wiki? I have intermittent access this weekend or would do
some of it myself, sorry...

-David Molnar