[Noisebridge-discuss] meet tomorrow?

Ben Henry henrybg at gmail.com
Tue May 27 21:33:59 UTC 2008

My $0.02 regarding donors:

If you let them know up front what you're using the money for, keep
them in touch with how their money is being used (rent, equipment,
events, lectures, etc), then they have no reason to complain.  If you
let them know on day 1 what the risks are for them (wait..they're
donors, not investors), then they should have nothing to complain
about when the time comes and one of those risks happens (shit!).

I know our company's are doing things a bit differently, but the
topics of conversation are very familiar.  We have investors, not
donors, but we actually have them.  So, honestly, getting donors to
give you a thousand or more is not the hard part.  Since they're
donors, they probably won't want their money back, either (which is
something we have to deal with), so just show them what happened with
their money.  It will make them want to give you more even if you're
failing.

Oh, another thing.  There is money everywhere you look.  If you're
worried about where to find donations, look in a different spot.  Send
submissions to something national or international...or local.
Whatever you're not doing is what you should do to get more people
interested.  Selling donors is easy once you're convinced that this
idea is going to work.

Sorry to introduce business into creative border-less organization
(why shouldn't they mix?)  Business is new for me, and being creative
that way is just as fun as debugging traces with a microscope.  Or
finding a 25 year old bug in BSD.

-Ben