[Noisebridge-discuss] meet tomorrow?

Marc Powell marc at foodhacking.com
Tue May 27 22:01:29 UTC 2008

here are my experiences with dealing with this before in newhackcity.. we
never ended up incorporating but we did have a pretty robust membership
model..

newhackcity 617:
  -group house in allston, ma
  -everybody who lived there paid rent and some were on the lease
  -members were people who lived there and hangers on, people could get
kicked out by either of these

nhc 415.1:
  -commercial warehouse space @ 20th/3rd in dogpatch
  -three peoples' names on the lease
  -members were people in the social network, no codification
  -people could get kicked out by members or leaseholders
  -leaseholders raised funds from other people who were using the space
for projects

nhc 415.2:
  -commercial space @ 6th/market, edge of soma/TL
  -three peoples' names on the lease- liability. we cycled people on and
off the lease when they left.
  -insurance in those three names.
  -interest-free checking account for member contributions
  -monthly meetings
  -membership was by invite-only and codified:
***
http://web.archive.org/web/20010628005801/www.newhackcity.net/policy.html
***
i recommend people check that out.. especially the three-tiered "member"
"contributor" and "guest" explanations under "affiliations".

that policy doc was a living thing- born from a bunch of painful
discussion meetings, ammendable, and built to withstand people taking
things over, ex-girlfriend/boyfriend drama, and members being dicks to
people.

and here's the newhack mission statement while we're at it:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010628003657/www.newhackcity.net/mission.html

R.I.P. NHC!!

noisebridge:
i know it takes a while to get things running, but if the only reason
we're meeting is to hash out an organizational document, that becomes less
fun then hanging out and hacking.. what is the cure for inertia?

best,
marc