[Noisebridge-discuss] meet tomorrow?

Noah Balmer noahbalmer at gmail.com
Tue May 27 22:09:09 UTC 2008

I think that is a totally reasonable concern, and agree that it needs to be
addressed.
I'm no expert on corporate law, but here's how I look at it.
I don't want my money, or my time for that matter, to go to an organization
with a high likelihood of imploding. I want to make sure that it's going to
stay stable, viable, and healthy.   I also want to be sure that the
organization's mission matches up with my own, and that the people in
positions of power are legally obligated to put that mission first, and can
be held accountable if they don't. I don't want people with no legal
responsibilities to be able to destabilize the whole venture by kicking out
the people in charge of operations and replacing them with an untried new
group.
In my case, I think that the existing laws requiring a reasonable standard
of care from the board are sufficient.  If the board accepts my donation,
but doesn't spend it appropriately, I can sue them.  I'm much more concerned
that I might invest in an organization and see it all fall apart because of
power struggles.  What I've been hearing is that an organization with voting
members is much more prone to power struggles and eventual failure, and that
scenario is not in anyone's best interests.
I've been a serious "voting members" advocate until yesterday, but after
learning the common result I've decided that I'd rather be a participant in
a healthy organization than a voter in one that's falling apart.