[Noisebridge-discuss] Car Stereo Analog Electronics

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 17:56:02 UTC 2008

Hey Matt,

I'm glad you found us!  There's lots of DIY-ers here.

Do you have a CD changer hooked up to your car stereo?  According to the comments under the Intro step on the instructables article you linked to, "From my understanding, you must have a CD changer installed for this hack."

You are correct:  all you need to do is connect Left and Right and Ground from your mp3 player to your car stereo.  But you have to get your car stereo to turn on its amplifier, and you somehow have to connect the mp3 L & R signals into the car stereo's audio amp input.  Evidently, the DIN connector only connects its L & R signals to the car stereo's audio input when a CD changer is plugged into it and sends some magical commands to the car stereo via the BUS pin.

If you don't have a CD changer, then you could open up your car stereo and poke around till you find the Left channel and Right channel inputs to the main audio amplifier, then play a blank cassette tape (if your stereo has a built-in tape player) or play a blank CD (if it has a built-in CD player).  Audio ground is just the metal case of the stereo.

The BATT pin on the DIN connector is 12v out from your car, according to the diagrams you found (both the instructables article and the nsxprime page you linked to match each other).  You can use the 12v output for anything you want.  But don't connect it directly to USB power unless you know it can handle 12v.

Headphones come with very cheap cables attached to them, which makes it very difficult to cut one off and then have access to the wires inside, so unless you are an expert at cabling, I'd recommend buying connectors and shielded audio cable and making your own cables (which isn't trivial, but is not very difficult with some practice).

Solder irons and all tools are available from Radio Shack, but better ones are available for a better price from Jameco:
http://www.jameco.com
Jameco also has shielded audio cable and connectors of all kinds.  But if you want a shitload of all parts available, there's Mouser and Digikey
http://www.mouser.com
http://www.digikey.com
All three of these companies ship anywhere in the world for an OK price.

Happy travels,
Mitch.