[Noisebridge-discuss] Car Stereo Analog Electronics

Noah Balmer noahbalmer at gmail.com
Wed May 28 18:51:21 UTC 2008

> If you don't have a CD changer, then you could open up your car stereo and
> poke around till you find the Left channel and Right channel inputs to the
> main audio amplifier, then play a blank cassette tape (if your stereo has a
> built-in tape player) or play a blank CD (if it has a built-in CD player).
> Audio ground is just the metal case of the stereo.

Using the case as audio ground will usually work, but may be noisy.  Because
a small amount of noise at the amplifier input gets, well, amplified, most
amplifiers have a "power and digital" ground which includes the case, and a
semi-isolated "analog ground" which is only used for the input stage.  The
two ground planes are connected through a small-value inductor or just a
thin pcb trace.   I'd connect to ground at an input pin or anywhere else in
the input stage.

Be cautious reverse engineering connectors, it's possible to cook stuff by
accidentally connecting to power pins.

There are places that sell aftermarket kits for this kind of thing, like
these guys: http://www.connects2.com/ , but they're a little on the pricey
side.

The easiest solution, if you just want to be sure you have tunes for your
trip, is to use a cassette adapter or an FM transmitter and avoid the
hardware hacking entirely. It's not the best form a sound quality
perspective or the most fun, but it works.