[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge structure

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu May 29 00:20:45 UTC 2008

Noah Balmer wrote:

Hi Noah,

> I'm alright with option 2 as well, as long as the board members are the
> ultimate decision makers.  I think there's unnecessary bureaucracy in this
> method, and a fair bit of invitation to demagoguery, but it can work as long
> as all the members understand what's going on well enough to vote wisely.
>
> I'm not comfortable with the other proposal that was advanced to give the
> board no power, and only liability. As far as I can tell it's a legally
> untenable position that invites clique wars and lawsuits.  If we go down
> that road I'm much less inclined to help.

I'm sorry I missed the meeting last night. From what I can tell, there
are not significant differences _in the bylaws_ between Mitch's "option
2" and what above is "the other proposal." Both have a Board, both have
Members, and both have a method for replacing Board members via member
recall. In particular, the bylaws draft we currently have on the wiki
could serve both proposals, once we finish it.

Therefore, I suggest we finish the current bylaws draft, along the lines
of "option 2", which you have said is alright, and which is where they
are going right now. We can then move to discussing more interesting
things, like which bank to use, which space to go after, or whether the
club should reimburse members for bringing pallets of Club Mate back in
their luggage. Does that work?

Thanks again for talking to Julia Love and bringing up these issues. I'm
looking forward to learning more from her class later. We will continue
to have a lively debate about what kind of organization we want to be,
and how things should be done. I just do not think we need to resolve
all of these issues now, in the bylaws, before we move on to the next
steps.

-David Molnar