[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge structure

Matt Peterson matt at peterson.org
Thu May 29 09:43:08 UTC 2008

+1

As someone who's just come visited CCC-Berlin in the last few days <http://www.flickr.com/photos/dork/tags/cccberlin/
 >, I too feel the vibe of Berliners and the euro geek hacker
culture.  As Noah mentions, I really want to see this project take off
and spread the interactions we've seen sheltered in communities come
together in the Bay.

One of the things we need to realize is the classic hacker spaces we
aspire to model after in Europe have, in some cases, gone though
generations and decades of development (particularly CCC-Berlin).
We're going to run into politics, issues, growth pains, etc - this is
all normal and part of a healthy growth process.  While I'm all for
pre-investment into crafting bylaws that factor in all possible
doomsday scenarios, this cycle has been spinning for awhile.  I'm
particularly grateful of the time investment from Andy, Rachel, Mitch,
Jake and others in this process.

Remember, the bylaws are only a government formality - which for us is
focused on a legal entity for banking, rent and insurance purposes;
not the guiding light or mission statement or "rules of the road" for
the organization day-to-day interactions.  I think we should take the
least path of resistance without trying to chart entirely new bylaw
waters (last I checked this is a group of art and technology hackers,
not law hackers); let's move past this and focus on the space and dues
- the real issues on the table.  The bylaws can also be revisited.

My vote is option 1, particularly since we'll likely need board
insurance.  With "option 2", if something goes bad - does that mean
everyone who is "M"ember is sued or only the board?

P.S. In regards to Club Mate.. I have two cases enroute, in the future
it's highly suggested to take this carry-on - as shipping is 5x more
expensive.  I look forward to

--Matt