[Noisebridge-discuss] FW: Shop Vac

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 00:55:12 UTC 2008

Here's some info from Gina, our green cleaner, concerning shop vacs, which, evidentally, someone may be bringing up at tonight's meeting.

Mitch.

---------------------> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:59:59 -0800> From: cleansupport at greenisp.com> To: maltman23 at hotmail.com> Subject: Shop Vac> > Hi Mitch,> > Steen told me the shop vac would be discussed at today's meeting. I'd > like to reseasrch shop vacs, before you buy one. To find something > affordable, relatively efficient to use and with the least particle > emissions. Also, how about a wet/dry vac? If I'm correct, they make > wet/dry vacs with HEPA filters, a good combo. There are also > important tool attachments to have. Is anyone there a member of > Consumer Reports? Members have special access to up-to-date vac reports.> > Can we continue with the shop vac you had there, until we find a better > one? I didn't see it when I cleaned this past Fri, so I swept the > worst dust bunnies into the dustpan.> > Thanks,> > Gina> > > Air pollutants plaguing the Bay Area> Jane Kay> Friday, October 17, 200> > > PARTICULATE MATTER> > The small solid particles and liquid droplets are discharged directly to > the air or created from reactions of airborne gaseous pollutants. The > most closely regulated by law include those under 10 microns in size, > PM-10, and the fine particles, 2.5 microns in size, PM-2.5. One micron > is one-seventh the diameter of a human hair. Cold, stagnant air in the > winter is the worst time of year.> > > Health effects: The tiniest particles penetrate deep into the lungs and > bloodstream, where they can cause respiratory and heart disease.> > Sources: ... cooking at restaurants and homes; trains and ships; > construction ...; road dust> > > TOXIC AIR CONTAMINANTS> > Particles in diesel engine exhaust, benzene, formaldehyde, chromium and > acrolein - a substance in cigarette smoke and car exhaust - are among > the 180 airborne chemical pollutants that can cause serious health > effects in small concentrations.> > Health effects:> The chemicals differ in their potential to do harm. Some can cause > cancer. Others are linked to diseases of the lungs, liver and kidneys > and short-term risks of eye and respiratory irritations.> > Sources: Diesel exhaust from cars, buses and trucks; oil refineries and > power plants; gas stations; dry cleaners.> > > > NITROGEN OXIDES> > Created when fuel is burned at high temperatures.> > Amount: 538 tons a day.> > Health effects: Nitrogen oxides irritate the eyes, skin, mucous > membranes and respiratory tract, and can cause lung diseases.> > Sources: Autos, trucks and buses; construction ...> Created when carbon in fuel is not burned completely. Highest levels > occur in the colder months of the year when pollution gets trapped near > the ground beneath a layer of warm air.> > Health effects: The toxic gas can damage the cardiovascular and > respiratory systems and cause neurobehavioral changes at low > concentrations. Young children, the elderly and those with heart and > lung problems are at the greatest risk.> > Sources: Motor vehicles;,,, consumer products; residential wood burning; > construction ...cigarette smoke.> > > > SULFER DIOXIDE> > Created when crude oil, coal and ore are burned and when gasoline is > extracted from oil.> > Amount: 64 tons a day.> > Health effects: The gas mixes with chemicals in the air to form > sulfates. When inhaled, they move to the lungs, where they can cause > respiratory disease, labored breathing and premature death.> > Source: ...industrial processes.> Greenhouse gases> > Health effects: Scientists say the carbon dioxide and other greenhouse > gases released by human activities are adding to the naturally occurring > greenhouse gases and pushing the rise in ocean and atmospheric > temperatures. The effects of global warming, including severe weather > events and rising sea levels, affect public health.> > Sources: Half of the emissions come from transportation; one-quarter > from industry and commerce; and one-quarter from power plants, oil > refining and home use.> > > > OZONE> > The main ingredient in smog is formed in the summer at the ground ...> Health effects: High levels cause coughing, tightness of the chest and > shortness of breath. Exposure may increase responses to allergens, > trigger respiratory problems, cause asthma cases and be associated with > increased mortality.> > Sources: Exhaust from motor vehicles ; ...solvents emitted from > architectural coatings and consumer products.> > > > - Jane Kay, jkay at sfchronicle.com> > This article appeared on page W - 4 of the San Francisco Chronicle> >