[Noisebridge-discuss] electronics lab

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Nov 27 18:59:59 UTC 2008

ShannonL and I have been discussing how to improve workspace at 83c.
The original build plan called for a separate electronics work area
upstairs near the closets; so far, we have one desk installed and it's
been taken over by a PC workstation.

The goal is to have room upstairs for
 - two workstations for (oscilloscope | logic analyzer)
 - two soldering stations with (shared) component bine
 - debugging stations with small VGA monitor, etc

We're undertaking to build another set of workbenches along the same
design as the shop benches but at sitting work-height -- slightly higher
than a standard desk -- and with a shelf above.  This work will commence
this weekend, probably Sunday 11/30.

Additionally we'll probably be replacing the door to the upstairs closet
with a heavy curtain, with ventilation fans above, with the goal of
 - reducing the thermal load on the "machine room"
 - keeping the noise down
 - avoid the loss of floor space currently taken up by the door arc

At some point we'll also be stocking up the parts drawers (which have
been slowly appearing on the "Shared" shelves and in the machine shop).
Donations and assistance are welcome in this regard.  We could use
donations of bulk amounts of
 - passives (resistors, capacitors, diodes)
 - transistors (power FETs etc)
 - regulators (5v, 9v, 3.3v, linear or switching)
 - useful ICs (not random surplus grab bag crap)
 - PCB/breadboard supplies (sockets, etc)
 - microcontrollers
 - other interesting supplies of general interest

People interested in donating should coordinate with dstaff and myself,
since we've already donated significant "seed silicon", only some of
which is documented on the wiki.

-andy