[Noisebridge-discuss] bank transfer of dues, someone did this, right?

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sat Nov 8 01:10:12 UTC 2008

Rachel McConnell wrote:
> It's a good point.  The last time I had anything like this going on, we
> set up a second bank account that was kept very private, and had a
> nightly sweep of all monies from account A to account B.  I dunno if
> it's worth setting up something like this for Noisebridge, it certainly
> won't be done Soon!  Perhaps the money lost in Paypal fees is worth the
> risk mitigation, or maybe our expected ongoing balance is small enough
> that we don't figure it's a big risk.

That's probably a good idea (a second account with sweeping). We should
contact the bank and ask them about some kind of bank account that we
can transfer to and will automatically be emptied (by us) hourly.

> I'll not publish the bank account number on the wiki without more input
> from people.

Probably a good idea. Please don't publish that.

> People, would the convenience of this be worth the risk?

It seems that banks are basically unable to create a "receive only"
account if you use checks. It seems that publishing the numbers will
almost certainly cause an issue and I know of a few groups (and Knuth)
have had problems because of this. :-(

Best,
Jake