[Noisebridge-discuss] oscilloscopes

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 03:17:18 UTC 2008

It is actually really difficult to hurt an oscilloscope (without a hammer).  This is because the inputs to a scope draw no current from what it's connected to.  While trying to stick an oscilloscope probe into a piece of equipment that is powered on, however, it is possible to damage the piece of electronic equipment that you are trying to measure.  This is because the oscilloscope probe tip is metal, and can short out two (or more) places in the piece of electronic equipment that should not be shorted out.

Other than that, have at it and play with the scope -- they are very difficult to hurt (and very difficult for them to hurt you).

Mitch.

---------------------> From: rachel at xtreme.com> To: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:06:27 -0800> Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] oscilloscopes> > David that was a kick-ass oscilloscope lesson. If anyone missed it and> is interested, you should suggest to him that he run it again.> > I have a question. What are some common dangerous mistakes that might> be made? I'll be actually using the scopes going forward and I just had> a conversation with someone who was concerned about killing them. How> might I use them most safely?> > Rachel> _______________________________________________> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss