[Noisebridge-discuss] Printer

Jeff Keyzer jeff at mightyohm.com
Mon Nov 17 16:25:22 UTC 2008

I personally think that Noisebridge as a whole needs to rethink what I
see as a policy of, by default, refusing free stuff.

Yes, the space is small.

Yes, it is a nuisance if someone brings 30 pounds of toxic waste into
the space.

Yes, some people are going to use us as a dumping ground for stuff
they don't want (and we don't either).

However, telling people that "no, we do not want your stuff" leaves a
lasting impression that will still be in the back of their mind when
they stumble upon a 40MHz function generator, or a free logic
analyzer, or a dual Xeon whatever rack sys in the alley.   Yes, they
may have mostly worthless junk this time, but maybe next time they
will have something that someone in the space actually wants.  My fear
is that they may choose to donate somewhere else or just keep on
walking based on their first interaction with us.

Also,  seemingly worthless donations may actually contain useful parts
inside.  Maybe that Mission-alley-inkjet (you've seen them) contains
exactly the right 5mm sprocket someone needs?  Maybe the 20th wall-
wart we get is actually a decent switching power supply with
reconfigurable voltage jumpers inside and has just the right connector
to go with that thing you're working on?

I think the focus should instead be on how to sell or re-donate junk
we don't need and how to dispose of the overflow properly instead of
routinely turning donations away.

Tearing down stuff is fun, even if you only end up with a couple LEDs
and a stepper motor when you're done.

Jeff Keyzer
jeff at mightyohm.com