[Noisebridge-discuss] Junk units, a donated random junk organizational guideline proposal for 83c

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Nov 18 01:40:40 UTC 2008

This started off as a reply to the Printer thread, but it's gone
wayyyy off topic now. My apologies if this sounds disjointed and
rather long winded. See this as a meta solution to a physical problem.

By using the word junk I'm talking about stuff that is found on the
street, pulled out of someone's closet or dumped into our laps by a
random company doing house cleaning, of which a *current purpose* for
that/those items isn't apparent or established or no one takes
ownership. By ownership I mean if you bring it into the space and
leave it out in the open (let's say on the hack or share shelf), not
placed in a project box.

Why am I bringing this up?

A good example is the safe that was dragged into the space about a
month ago. It was rather big, and heavy, broken, and locked. No label
was placed on it as to what the intended purpose of said object was or
if it was up for grabs within 83c. The night after it's arrival
several boys dressed in black spent a hand full of time prying the
safe door open, destroying a hammer while going at it, only to find
it's inners empty. The safe then remained, broken hearted and sad, on
the floor near the Northern wall for about a week or two. No purpose,
no spoken intentions from anyone to take ownership, something that had
gone from junk status to trash status of which no one wanted to deal
with anymore. Eventually Andy and I got extremely (fucking) tired of
seeing it, we picked it up and removed it from the space. Thus ending
the saga of the safe at 83c that was totally (in my humble opinion)
pointless to have in the first place.

 From my observations of the space since it opened, and my previous
experiences being a teenage electronics pack-rat living with my mom,
the issue with getting stuff donated to the space is going to turn
into more and more of a bigger problem of dealing with space and crap
disposal in the near future. I propose that we put into place a system
that deals with junk units...

* If something comes into the space and doesn't have a place to live
(i.e. with the tools, or with the spools of solder, or in someone's
project box), it is deemed as a junk unit.
* Only members are allowed to bring in junk units, if you're not a
member and would like to bring in some units (as you think it's a
great idea), find a member to co-sign for you, like via email.
* Junk units *must be labeled* with the date of which they entered the
space, optionally the person(s) who brought the unit in could throw
their name(s) on it, just in case someone would like to know where it
came from or the story behind said unit. Recommend that labeling
should happen with a sharpie right onto the unit itself, as it saves
paper and is harder to fudge up.
* A place for junk unit storage and organization is established (we
already have that, the hack/share shelves).
* Junk units *MUST BE KEPT TOGETHER* with all the other junk units (we
currently don't do that 100% of the time as there is junk *EVERYWHERE*
on many of the shelves both on the first and 2nd floor).
* Anyone is free to take a junk unit away from the junk storage area
and use it for whatever they want or stuff it into their project box.
If parts are removed from the unit, the remaining parts should be
dated and placed back in junk storage.
* If a member brings junk in OR utilize/grab any junk from storage,
you must be an excellent member by dedicating some time to do some
housekeeping when needed (see next bullet).
* Housekeeping! On a set schedule (weekly?) and when one feels the
need to, a review is done on most/all items in junk storage. If the
date on the unit is moldy and stale (let's say two weeks) it is then
labeled as "outbox" and tossed into the outbox (see next bullet). If
during this time any members doing the review find something they
think needs one more chance (two more weeks), that member should cross
off the old date and put down the current date. The old date should
not be removed as to give a way of tracking how many 2nd chances a
unit has been given.
* Outbox! Junk getting ready to be removed from the space sits in an
outbox (shelf?) for a few days, last chance to grab it before it's
gone! Items in here are only allowed to go into someone's project box
and not allowed back into the junk shelf. If you really think the
space should use it, it had time. If you really want it you better
take it or find a home for it, the junk storage doesn't want it anymore!

These guidelines/rules I just proposed here, what does this all do? It
makes it harder to pack rat stuff as a group.
* By keeping dates on things and forcing housecleaning on it all, it
requires the mass/group to concisely remind themselves that this junk
still exists. As opposed to bringing junk into the space then never
caring about what happens to it, or how it effects the space ever
again. We have to in turn put effort into having junk still continue
living in the space. This prompt people be like like holy shit this
has been here for months for sure, time to go!
* It gives the open option of having people take ownership when they
feel a junk unit is still something valuable to the space. I keep on
hearing of how printers and scanners contains some amazing parts.
That's great! If you feel that religious about it but don't want to
keep 3 dead scanners and 2 broken printers in your project box, strip
what parts you think others can use, store them along with all of our
other parts and materials that get used in the shop and remove the
rest of it from the space. I have a bunch of filthy broken tents from
Burning Man that I'm sure someone could use the fabric from for random
projects. The space isn't going to progress if (each time someone asks
WTF IS THIS NASTY HIPPIE SHIT TAKING UP SPACE?) I defend the need to
keep this crap there on the off chance that someone at some unknown
point in time in the future MIGHT end up using any of it.
* Establishing a place where junk should be kept, so that others can
have room on the (loads) of shelves we have. I would like to take the
frames that I donated to the space a month ago which no one has
grabbed yet and place them in a project box on a shelf to use in the
next month. I don't have a project box or a shelf to put it on because
there's way too much crap all over the shelves that no one wants to
deal with and/or clean off.
* A holding place is created for things we know for SURE that we'd
like get the hell out of the space. Less time is taken into scrounging
around shelves for trash and more time put into figuring out where to
take trash unit X to get recycled.

If you've gotten this far in reading this, thanks. I'd appreciate
comments, discussion and constructive negative feedback. Depending on
what I hear here I'm willing to make a cameo appearance at the meeting
on Tuesday, to pitching these guidelines to the group.

--
Rubin Abdi
Rubin at Starset.net