[Noisebridge-discuss] sleepytime funtime!

Mikael Vejdemo Johansson mik at stanford.edu
Sun Nov 23 14:34:05 UTC 2008

On Nov 22, 2008, at 8:42 PM, skye estes wrote:
> had it been someone i didn't know very well or at all, i would
> agree, and would certainly have stopped it from happening, but jay
> is my friend, and it was a silly little thing that's being blown out
> of proportion because it happened at noisebridge.
>
> had it happened anywhere else, it would warrant nothing more than a
> chuckle and it would never be mentioned again. i know that the space
> is a community, but i don't think that it's the community's place to
> tell friends how to behave with each other if it doesn't affect
> anyone else.
>
> that said, i did apologize to jay, but again, that's between
> friends, and the pictures were just meant to provide some momentary
> amusement. i'll delete the wiki page. this is so over.

You probably have noticed by now, but the issue is not so much that
Jay is cool with you doing stuff that gets people upset. It's much
more that all of a sudden, very many of the Noisebridge people are
realizing that at least one person apparently views (familiar and)
sleeping/napping people at the space as being fair game for getting
drawn on with markers.

Apparently Shannon, Quinn and mlp really don't want Noisebridge to be
that kind of place. I'm not sure I want it to either - on the other
hand, I have been known to have "label body parts" with markers being
one of the things I start doing when sufficiently sugar high. Only on
live subjects though - not on sleepers....

Aaaaanyway.

I would feel sad if this led to a state where People I Find Awesome
are no longer probable to be discovered still asleep at the space when
I come in weekend late mornings. It would make Noisebridge slightly
less awesome, and would subject everyone to much more logistics.

It wouldn't seem to be an issue that requires dealing with in the
general assembly: I for one hope that the strength of emotion around
this issue indicates to those of us (me included, see labeling body
parts above) that might be inclined to wield markers what price that
inclination would bring, and what would constitute and not constitute
being excellent to each other.

// Mikael