[Noisebridge-discuss] Git and Github

Asheesh Laroia noisebridge at asheesh.org
Mon Nov 24 02:18:52 UTC 2008

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Jonathan Foote wrote:

> http://github.com/ has been getting some buzz lately (is the linux
> kernel really on git?) Anybody used it? I'd love something lighter than
> sourceforge, and have significant investment in SVN learning curve.
> Comments? Appropriate for NB collaborations (open source kinda assumed)?

Github is a proprietary service, run with software that the users can't
see or modify.

Gitorious.org is the website for an equivalent project run using Free
Software.

Writes one person on the web: The difference is that "you can fork
gitorious project from http://gitorious.org/projects/gitorious and show
your design skills :)"  If you want to run your own private gitorious, you
can.  (gitorious.noisebridge.net, even...)

I like the benefits of Free Software and open source, and I think
Noisebridge has those ideals at its heart too.  So, as a totally
non-binding personal hope, I hope that we NoiseBridge folks prefer
Gitorious to Github.

http://gitorious.org/about has a little more.

The Gitorious website is less flashy and marketing-y than github's, and
more straightforward for developers.  My kind of site.

Having said all that, choice of websites notwithstanding - I do like git!

-- Asheesh.

--
You love your home and want it to be beautiful.