[Noisebridge-discuss] flooring (odd but perhaps fun idea)

Shannon Clark shannon.clark at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 08:12:21 UTC 2008

In looking at flooring options on Craigslist this evening I ran into an ad
offering TrafficMaster flooring (
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/spo/867410228.html) He has 48 of the 18"x18"
squares (plus edging), so probably not enough for the full upstairs area,
but might be enough for the workspace portion, allow us to use a different
surface for the chill area (or more kits can apparently be bought at Home
Depot)

This is the black rubber surface found in many gyms. Now I don't know how
resistant it is to wear and tear (though I'd imagine fairly resistant) and
while I'd assume a rubber surface would be pretty good from an anti-static
standpoint (better than carpet I'd imagine) we might want to check. Plus it
is relatively thick (but that could be a good thing as well).

Anyway the same company also has more traditional carpet squares as well as
squares specifically intended for use in workshops & garages.

The advantages to a carpet square (or puzzle square) type solution are:

- very easy to install (and later remove either entirely or if one area is
damaged)

- usually do not require any special padding or undersurface
layers/treatments

- can offer us flexibility if we want to (for example if we get extra
squares we could use some downstairs when a softer surface might be useful,
then take them up after the need ends)

- as I noted this brand (Traffic Master) is for sale at Home Depot so
replacements etc would be pretty easy to get. There are also many commercial
carpet square companies.

(on option to consider is to approach such companies and ask them for
samples, most send out quite a number of samples, if we don't mind things
not matching we would almost carpet the upstairs just with samples. I'd also
imagine that some number of their dealers might be willing to give us
samples for discontinued lines if we ask)

anyway I'll keep looking into carpeting options - but my suggestion would be
for some form of carpet square like solution (even if the surface isn't in
fact a carpet at all)

Shannon