[Noisebridge-discuss] Proposal for event @ noisebridge

mark burdett mfburdett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 22:39:02 UTC 2008

Hi,
Even though I'm totally new here, I *already* have a proposal for an
event to hold at Noisebridge.

I have been working, along with folks on a list called "madpenguins",
on a series of west coast hackmeetings: for hackers, activists and
hacktivists to get together and skillshare and teach each other all
kinds of technology that we can use in projects we're working on, from
how to use Gimp, to online know-your-rights, to building a microradio
station, to how to build a website for the total noob.  These have
been totally free zero-budget events (aside from donations to buy
lunch) with a mixture of some pre-planned sessions and unconference
format.  The last hackmeet in the bay area was October 2007, at what
was then the New College campus; you can read more about it at
http://hackmeet.org/   Folks in San Diego have also been hosting
similar events down there.

So, we are now looking for a space to host another 2-day bay area
hackmeeting on some upcoming weekend. Our target date is November 8th
& 9th, if we can find a space by then.

We have some ideas for how to make the hackmeeting even better this
time around, like getting more folks involved who are into hardware
hacking, e.g. demonstrations and hands-on building and modifying
electronics.  Since Noisebridge will have a hardware hacking workshop,
this could be a good fit.

Now, I'm not sure if Noisebridge will be ready for public events any
time soon; sounds like there is still a lot of heavy construction to
be done!  But either way, where ever we find space for it, Noisebridge
folks will be welcome to attend, so I'll keep y'all informed.

Another consideration is size -- Noisebridge is smaller than the space
we utilized last October at New College.  So we'll have to make
attendance limited, or find some other space in the neighborhood to
spread out into.

Let me know what you think; I'll also try to come to the Noisebridge
meeting tomorrow and put this on the agenda for discussion if there's
time.

Thanks!

--mark B.