[Noisebridge-discuss] Proposal for event @ noisebridge

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 06:33:33 UTC 2008

I love the idea of holding events like this at Noisebridge!  As an educational non-profit, part of our mission is to provide classes, workshops and events where people from the community can come to Noisebridge to learn useful and fun new skills in technology (as well as science and the arts).

I'm not sure when we'll be ready to hold public events.  But some time soon (a month or two)?

Tomorrow's agenda is pretty full already.  So, let's discuss this on this discuss list to start out.  But please come to the meeting and introduce yourself and check out the cool Noisebridge space.

Mitch.

----------------------> Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:39:02 -0700> From: mfburdett at gmail.com> To: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] Proposal for event @ noisebridge> > Hi,> Even though I'm totally new here, I *already* have a proposal for an> event to hold at Noisebridge.> > I have been working, along with folks on a list called "madpenguins",> on a series of west coast hackmeetings: for hackers, activists and> hacktivists to get together and skillshare and teach each other all> kinds of technology that we can use in projects we're working on, from> how to use Gimp, to online know-your-rights, to building a microradio> station, to how to build a website for the total noob. These have> been totally free zero-budget events (aside from donations to buy> lunch) with a mixture of some pre-planned sessions and unconference> format. The last hackmeet in the bay area was October 2007, at what> was then the New College campus; you can read more about it at> http://hackmeet.org/ Folks in San Diego have also been hosting> similar events down there.> > So, we are now looking for a space to host another 2-day bay area> hackmeeting on some upcoming weekend. Our target date is November 8th> & 9th, if we can find a space by then.> > We have some ideas for how to make the hackmeeting even better this> time around, like getting more folks involved who are into hardware> hacking, e.g. demonstrations and hands-on building and modifying> electronics. Since Noisebridge will have a hardware hacking workshop,> this could be a good fit.> > Now, I'm not sure if Noisebridge will be ready for public events any> time soon; sounds like there is still a lot of heavy construction to> be done! But either way, where ever we find space for it, Noisebridge> folks will be welcome to attend, so I'll keep y'all informed.> > Another consideration is size -- Noisebridge is smaller than the space> we utilized last October at New College. So we'll have to make> attendance limited, or find some other space in the neighborhood to> spread out into.> > Let me know what you think; I'll also try to come to the Noisebridge> meeting tomorrow and put this on the agenda for discussion if there's> time.> > Thanks!> > --mark B.> _______________________________________________> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss